Archive for category List
Every morning, when I eat breakfast there are these wonderful few minutes when I check my RSS reader for the updates of my favourite web comics. I actually think that these free web comics are far better written and much more beautifully drawn than most of the commercially published stuff, but that is just my opinion. So here is a list of my top favourites aka those I am definitely buying the printed version of. Some of these may have adult themes, sex, violence and so on. The genre is, well if I get it wrong in your opinion then sorry, I am not good with labels. The order is probably chronological according to when I stumbled upon these lovely stories:
1. Digger – genre: fantasy; finished. It has a cool expressionist style, fabulous characters (a wombat among them!), absurd sense of humour.
2. Two Rooks – genre: sf/criminal; on-going, sort of *sigh*; plot driven and what a plot it is, needs re-reading to see that all fits together soo well, stylistically stunning (manga inspired), witty dialogues, and on a personal bias note all guys have long hair ❤
3. Marsh Rocket – genre: cyber punk; finished, really sad because it lacks a definite conclusion, but the author moved on to do other things *sigh*. Nice criminal plot, hilarious dialogue. Interesting drawing and colouring style.
4. Lackadaisy – genre: noir?; on-going; sepia, cats, the prohibition in the USA, sweet characters, the language may be tad of a challenge for a non native speaker.
5. Gone with the blast wave – genre: the title speaks for itself, post-apocalyptic sf; on-going, sort of; two soldiers lost in an endless city, slightly morbid but hilarious dialogue, interesting art.
6. The less than epic adventures of TJ and Amal – genre: … romance I guess or a road comic?; on-going; two guys driving across the USA, there might be a plot in there somewhere, but I can live without it , because the story is simply cute and the art is exceptional
7. Oglaf! – genre: fantasy comedy porn; on-going; unrelated or loosely connected shorts or single strips; hilarious especially if fantasy is your thing.
8. Gunnerkrigg Court – genre: fantasy; on-going; a must read for all Neil Gaiman fans; magical plot and wonderful art.
9. Chirout – genre: fantasy; on-going; starts a little slow, but has nice characters and becomes addictive, I just hope the website will be improved soon.
10. String Theory – genre: sf; on-going; begins very innocently, but it is merely a deception, the plot thickens, weird characters weirder plot.
11. The Abominable Charles Christopher – genre: fantasy with cute animals; on-going; actually rather serious, has quite a few current themes in it, very beautiful, very touching, often quite funny.
These are not the only web comics I follow, my RSS reader has probably around 40 subscriptions in the comics section. These, however,are those that excite me most, when I see an update. There are some that might get onto a second version of this list If I choose to write it some time in the future, but they are still too short for me to be over-excited about them. They need to prove themselves like these did, that they are capable of maintaining a decent quality for a long time – preferably till the end. If you have your favourites please link to them in the comments.
Recently I have felt that my film rating is somewhat lacking. It was inspired by a program of a particular film festival, the shape of which might have not been as accidental as some critics of that festival claimed. I still like the categories I have, but I would like to introduce a few additional ones. They will act both as main categories – a film could be rated with just one of the new ones; or they will appear in any combination I would feel suits the film best. This will only apply to any future film reviews, I will not revise the already posted ones.
So on to the new categories:
(U)nsettling – for those films that leave me feeling creeped out or disturbed.
(A)nnoying – if the film pushes all the wrong buttons (ex. if I feel that it is sexist or xenophobic etc.)
(C)onfusing – if I don’t understand the film (plotwise in most cases) or am clueless as to the purpose why it had been made in the first place.
(S)tunning – if the whole film or important/significant parts of it strongly appeal to me aesthetically, I feel I need this category, because many of my absolutely favorite films I perceive on this very level and consider them simply beautiful.
I have had this one for quite sometime now. I WANT A COUPLE OF GOATS. Seriously… as pets. I love goats visually, they are ultimately cute, but most importantly they have wonderful character traits (they are energetic, friendly, curious). Unfortunately I do not have the resources and living conditions to keep a goat. This saddens me greatly, so I obsessively watch goats on youtube and I decided to share my favorite videos with them.
1. My favorite youtube user with her goat videos, they are all very sweet
here is one of them
Goats are basically the best, when they interact with other animals. I love the stoic attitude of most other animals, when faced with hyperactive goats. But there are also those, which love to participate in the goat games.
2. stoic ram
6. perky dog
8. cheeky horse
And even though goats usually seem to be on top of things (both literally and metaphorically) there is one animal capable of outsmarting a goat:
PS. My craze for goats was significantly amplified when my favorite living artist made a poster advertising reading with a huge goat god, it is just lovely. Not everyone appreciated it, I mean reading in itself is wrong, but combined with a giant goat, simply pure evil 😉
• classical yukata designs
• classical porcelain and tiles decoration
• Lapis lazuli beads
• Dr Martens shoes
• Chinese dragons
I really love it when my readers add their ideas to the lists I post here ♥
• rats – at work 😉
I should have posted it like a month ago… ^^!
• long walks in the forest and on the river bank
• wafers with whipped cream and fruits – the perfect road trip junk food, they do not taste the same at home
• minimum pre-trip organisation required
• a stray plum tree found during a long walk – plums picked directly from the tree taste much better than those from the shop
• little towns with their little houses and cute gardens that seem so perfect as long as you do not linger in them – I am a big city freak I find lack of civilisation endearing only if I spend less than a week there
This list is probably incomplete, and I think this will apply to all other film or book related lists I will ever write 😉
• Neverending Story – it is one of the strongest childhood memories I have, I feared it and loved it. Falkor is the most adorable dragon I’ve ever seen.
• Sleepy Hollow – It’s a Tim Burton, plus the story is great.
• Dogma – It’s ridiculous and god is a girl 😉
• The Adventures of Baron Munchausen – I like the aesthetics and the classical fairytale style.
• Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon – it is simply beautiful and the story is very touching in its simple way.
• Merlin – I liked how the magic worked in it and all women characters were very nicely cast in my opinion.
• Dragonheart – for David Thewlis as the mean prince and the cute dragon.
• Donnie Darko – if I wrote why I loved it I would spoil the movie ^^
• Stardust – because Tristan is so adorable, Lamia so wicked and Septimus so cold and evil, and the story is just great.
• The Brothers Grimm – for the humor and the classical fairytale style, and I like the two leading actors.
• Bride of Frankenstein – she is beautiful and the atmosphere of the movie is just great.
• Beetle Juice – the animation, and Beetle Juice himself is a great character
• A life less ordinary – for the dark humor, Ewan Mcgreggor and Holly Hunter’s wonderful accent.
• a sleeping dog, especially when you have something important and/or work related pending
• people who build their self-esteem by hating something popular
• reading a fanatic’s blog – this is also hilarious
• fashion victims
• talking to a know-it-all
• die-hard fans of something (books, movies, bands etc)
• the smell of koicha being whisked
• spring air
• charcoals in the hearth
• new books
• old books
• freshly cut grass
• the air just after a storm
• sandal wood
ps I have decided not to include food, because I think it deserves a list of its own.